Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Monday, July 7, 2008

*&^%ing Happy Meal Toy...

The Cave Troll was unhappy.

When the Cave Troll is unhappy, he does what many of us do--he blames the whole fucking miserable world for his unhappiness.

"Mom...you lost my transformer!!!"

"That's right kid. I stole your transformer and lost it. I'm mean that way." (Because sarcasm goes over well with the pre-school crowd, right?)

"Mooom... you have to find my transformer. You lost my transformer. YOU HAVE TO FIND MY TRANSFORMER!!!"

The hysteria was becoming truly unhealthy, so I figured I'd try a re-direct. "Okay--here's what I need you to do. You lay down and take a nap," (because, can you tell? It was definitely NAP TIME) "and once you lay down, I'll find your transformer guy." I have no idea how I'll do this, btw--but I know it must be done, because the Cave Troll? Not one of those kids who forgets after the nap. Nope. Nosirree, nuh-nuh, nohow.

So what follows is fifteen minutes of my life I'll never get back, sitting on the edge of the bed, threatening, cajoling, promising, rewarding, hugging, and weeping until e pluribus Cave Troll is laying down in (get this) MY bed, threatening me with dire consequences (i.e., more whining) should the transformer not be there when he wakes up.

I stand up, exhausted by the mental effort already, take two steps, look into the top of a laundry basket, and HOLY SHIT AND PASS THE POTATOES, THERE'S THE FUCKING HAPPY MEaL TOY.

"See!" I yelled, doing a (mostly) dignified 'I"m-bad-uh-huh-I'm-bad" dance at the foot of the bed. "I TOLD you if you'd just lay down, I'd find your transformer!!!"

*sigh* It's not often that mama-justice is that immediate, but I tell you, it sure is sweet.


(P.S. We didn't bug-bomb. If I'd seen any single gnarly-wiggly-nasty little spiderleg the next morning, it would have been a no-brainer, but I didn't see a damned one, so I think we'll wait until it's not a bazillion degrees outside. But thanks for the tip about the hairspray! How much does it say about us as a family that I don't think we have any to make the little goombahs stiff before we vacuum them up?)

5 comments:

Galad said...

An amazing feat of mother magic. My congratulations on saving the day!

TinkingBell said...

HHHHHaaaahhhhhh! Motherkarma wins the day!!!

Congratulations on using your powers for good!

Louiz said...

Wow! Impressive... fancy passing a bit of that mummy magic over this way?!

Netter said...

Ah, sweet vindication! I was happy Sunday night when the new transformer toy meant I didn't have to swap toys out at bedtime. He didn't get bored with it in the time from bath to books to tv to bed like he usually does.

roxie said...

You. Totally. ROCK!!

As for the hairspray, it lacquers them in place. They are adhered to the surface for the rest of whatever, with their breathing spicules sealed shut. You are left with a killing field full of tiny corpses which makes for an interesting conversation piece, but is karmically probably a bad thing. I don't own any hairspray now either. Who uses hairspray now? Wonder what Pam spray would do to tiny spiders?