Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Saturday, July 5, 2008

We got to blow stuff up...


For my family, that's basically what it boils down to: Mom cooks (hamburgers & sausages on the grill) and we get to blow stuff up.

And of course, there's the movie marathon of summer blockbusters--Men in Black, ID4, Die Hard 4--I wish we were better people than that--picnics on the lake, that sort of thing, but after making the useless teenagers, I mean beloved adolescent children, clean the house, Mate and I were, quite frankly done with anything more involved than that. The short people got to skip their naps, and then they fell asleep before it was time for fireworks! We had to wake them up to go outside and blow stuff up! But that's okay--it was worth it. Ladybug jumped up and down and clapped and said 'yaaaayyy'!!! after each little explosion. The Cave Troll plugged his ears and got on his 'potato face' (all eyes!) and regarded the whole works with sober delight. And then we came in for ice cream, and with very little persuading, everyone went to bed.

The end.

Mate and I finished up with a little bit of David Chapelle on comedy central, and I got in some knitting.

Sometimes, we're just low key that way!

But the good news is, "I am within a forseeable end of the war" as Orwell said. Bitter Moon is getting very close to the big finale, and then it's about twenty pages of wrap up and then?

Then I'll have about 750-800 pages of manuscript on my hands. If anyone can believe THAT funky bullshit, let me know, because I SWORE the first Bitter Moon would be the longest thing I'd ever write.

*whew* I'll be so glad when I get to the Cory-verse again!

Which reminds me--I just got a review on amazon that, while giving the whole series 4/5 stars, wondered if I had skipped a rudimentary English class or two.

Aren't we so glad I'm teaching your children, y'all?

4 comments:

Saren Johnson said...

Sounds like a wonderful time. We spent the day at a friend of Grilltech's he hasn't seen in more then 8 years. They were entertaining and I managed to get quite a bit of knitting done.

Galad said...

It sounds like a traditional 4th in our family. A movie day, fireworks and ice cream - priceless!

By the way - I would have loved for my kids to have you for a teacher :-)

Donna Lee said...

I love those kind of holidays. We'll have that kind of weekend,too because the weather isn't conducive to picnics and lake visits. And because sometimes it's good to hunker down and just be lazy. I got my girls to clean and I did the laundry and now I have some time to wrestle with this damn, I mean lovely shawl that I am trying to make.

TinkingBell said...

Sounds great to me - it's winter here, everyone's sick and I'd just love to blow stuff up!