Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Gotta give it up to Knittech...

She sure can do those lists! Have you read them? They're all written in a straight line, and they're usually hilarious, and they're just a list of things--irritating or wonderful--about her day.

I love her lists.

I sat down to blog tonight and was thinking, "Gees, I sure would like to just do a list," and then I remembered all of the other times I did lists, and I just sort of nattered on and on about a topic. I think this explains a lot about my grocery store buying habits, as well as why I never just go in and 'edit' what I've been told is wrong, but have to edit everything in between as well. I'm just not a very linear thinker--which is too bad, because this is DEFINITELY a linear thinker's world.

Which could explain why my department head probably wishes I would melt, thaw, and resolve myself into a dew right now.

See, it all started when I missed two department meetings in a row. The first time I just completely forgot, because, well, it was September. (You all know September, right--I mean, two kids in soccer, three birthdays, school's beginning, camel races, aliens landing, chaos? September?) The second one I was all planned for--had the babysitters (yes, plural--one for the Cave Troll, one for Ladybug) and the ride for Chicken all lined up. And then Ladybug's babysitter called and said Ladybug was sporting a fever--and no more department meeting, right?

So this last department meeting I was bound and determined to go to.

It was going to be a stretch--Ladybug was going to have to be there, and Chicken was going to have to wait for me to arrive, but I'd be there. And then Mate e-mailed, and I had to go pick up the Cave Troll BEFORE I picked up Ladybug, and the Cave Troll had already had one ride cross town, and then there was another one to go get his sister, and he didn't get his quiet time or his nap time and as a whole, was living up to his name. Anyway, so there we were, me and the short people in the department meeting, and they were NOT in top form. The Cave Troll dumped a bottle of water on my foot and Ladybug didn't stop talking once. And in the meantime, I was being grilled like a trout about my curriculum this semester (in a good way--it was, apparently something everybody went through, only I hadn't been there for the process). Anyway, let's just say that the kids were so bad that after I was bbq'd like filet-o-carp, my department head said, as dryly as possible, "You don't have to stay for the rest of the meeting."

I fled. I would like to say I fled with dignity, but Ladybug was dropping coloring supplies as we went and I had to keep going back for them and then I'd try to hold them and she'd whine and then I'd give them to her and she'd drop them and as a whole, the royal family we were not. So we dragged our sorry, whiny, disorganized Lane family asses out of Mr. Trick's room, and the last thing my department heard me say was probably, "C'mon, guys, we've got to go get Chicken." I really said 'Chicken', too, I didn't use her real name, which might have made me sound a tad less insane.

So I came to sit down to blog, and all of a sudden, I wished I could write in a straight line like Knittech, because being a straight line person suddenly sounds as heavenly as being a grown-up sounds to an eight year old.

But I don't think I'll ever know.

(P.S.--And this has nothing to do with anything at all, except, if you heard a loud, piercing RABID FANGIRL SQUEAL last night, around ten p.m. Pacific Standard Time, that was me, swooning over Supernatural, because Dean Winchester finally spoke about his time in hell and he CRIED!!!! You all know how I feel about those tough-as-nails weepy men, right? First he got a love scene that made me sweat all over--in front of the teenagers too, it was embarrassing, I almost sent them to their rooms so I could slobber in peace-- and then he CRIED!!! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG... I'm going to be quivering over that episode for at least a month. Which is a good thing because there's no new episodes until Jan. 15th. It's a good thing I kept the last 5 on the DVR, because, well, did I mention OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG? *happy sigh* Excuse me, I'm going to moon over my rabid fangirlgasm now... it was just swell.)

5 comments:

GrillTech said...

Hmmm another person watching Supernatural. This may explain why KnitTech is watching it now.

Saren Johnson said...

HEY NOW!!! I know our Mother trained you better then to drop spoilers!!! (I'm watching the first season on DVD, so I'm a long way from the current one.)

I can write in such a linear style because I sit in front of a computer all day. When something happens, I write it down.

roxie said...

How can you possibly do linear thinking in your decidedly non-linear world? You are like a planet trying to orbit five suns and keep eleven moons from crashing into one another.

Galad said...

Now,of course, I'm going to have to see if Netflix has Supernatural, since I've never seen it.

Our school superintendent just suggested I read Daniel Pink's book, A Whole New Mind: Why Right- Brainers Will Rule the Future. The whole book is about the creative right brain, non-linear thinking that will be needed for the future. You aren't out of sync with the rest of the world - you are cutting edge :-)

TinkingBell said...

Linear? Whats that?

I have always preferred arcs myself, - and curves and squiggles and

where were we?

Oh linear. Right. I'll think abiyt that.

Later