Green's Hill-Amy Lane's Home - News

Monday, October 16, 2017

So, How Was Seattle?

Well, first of all, it was Bellevue, which means I sort of waved at Seattle in passing, but since Bellevue (or the part I saw of it) was amazing, I'm not going to quibble.

Second of all, I need to give some shoutouts--

*  Carmen Cook and her wonderful husband, Scott, who both welcomed a newbie to the con, were charming companions at a VERY noisy and momentous dinner, and were both just awesome people the entire weekend. It's like I really DO feel that I made new friends, and it started with these guys, and a Mai-Tai and just the friendliest people on earth.

* Karen Rose and her husband, Mr. Rose (Martin!) who were happy to hang with me during the geeky chatty quiet times. Cause we all need that, when things get loud and noisy!

* THE WHOLE MASTER'S CLASS PANEL--I got to listen to their dinner conversation and it was AMAZING. Also, they all smiled at me and made me feel welcome for the rest of the con.

*  Jasmine Silvera, author of Death's Dancer (and isn't that an amazing title? I bought this book on the title and cover alone!) who not only commiserated on me about living in Sacramento (she has since escaped) but who was also my moderator for my archetype class and who KICKED ASS trying to get my power point to show up on the screen.

*  Asa Maria Bradley, and her friend Jessica Holt, as well as Lee and Sarah, all of whom invited me to dinner and were charming and hilarious. I drank wine and chatted with my sisters and enjoyed myself immensely-- I do hope they invite me again.

* Sarah MacClean, author of kickass feminist regency romance, and the one who gave the luncheon speech with my new mantra, ROMANCE IS NOT SILLY! And who also was kind enough to introduce me to Jasmine after the reader event when I came up and fangirled over her swag--a regency heroine complete with pussyhat that I found to be ingenious and ballsy.

* Tori V. Thompson, who came over from Whidbey Island to bring my kids Seagull Poop, Crab Crap, and bath bombs. Okay, yes-- the goodies (and they are goodies!) were supposed to be for ME, however, I did warn her that my kids would besiege me and steal them. I managed to get two pieces of Whidbey Rock Candy tonight and they made me feel like a terrible human being for even asking. But the fact that she came all the way out, bringing her lovely husband, JUST to see me?

I'll seriously treasure that always.

*sniffle* Thanks hon. That was awesome.

*  And last but not least to my darling Rhae, who greeted me this morning with a birthday package of the most wonderful things--I shall have pictures tomorrow, but she made Squish and I each scarves, and Squish was SO happy to get mine, and I wore mine all evening even when it got warm. They're beautiful, and the boys got T-shirts and my friend and I got incense and tea and stones-- it was the most lovely amazing gift and it has filled me with good will all day.

The trip was great--I enjoyed giving my workshops and although the first one was sparsely populated (because it was Bambi against Godzilla, Mothra, and King Kong on the schedule--I'm not even kidding, I wanted to go to some of those classes!) the second one was fairly well attended and three people told me I helped them get over plot difficulties just by being my goofy, geeky self, and I was glad.

I'm glad to be home-- the kids missed me, and their weekend was fairly adventuresome. The dogs showed signs of hoomin deprivation, and have been needy leeches all day.

But it was a good trip--thank you so much to everybody who helped make it that way.



2 comments:

K. Tuttle said...

Yay!!! I'm glad that you had such a kick-ass time! Would have been awesome to be a fly on the wall for all of those events.

Janie Friedman said...

I'm glad it was such a wonderful trip!